Tyson Fury has announced that his much-anticipated fight with Anthony Joshua is off, after the deadline for negotiations expired.
The heavyweight champion took to social media to say that Joshua’s team had been “unprofessional” in their approach to the talks.
Fury also said that he had been “stringing Joshua along” and that he now plans to fight Deontay Wilder in a rematch.
The news will come as a tremendous disappointment to boxing fans, who had been hoping to see Fury and Joshua unify the heavyweight division.
It is also a blow to Joshua, who was desperate to secure a high-profile opponent for his next fight.
Fury’s announcement means that the long-awaited fight between Joshua and Wilder is now back on the cards.
The two men had been due to meet in December 2018, but the bout was postponed after Wilder suffered an injury.
It is not yet clear when or where the rematch will take place, but it will be one of the biggest boxing events of the year.
I’m really disappointed that the Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua’s fight is off. I was really looking forward to it. I think it would have been a great fight.
I think Joshua was desperate to secure a high-profile opponent for his next fight and Fury was stringing him along. I think it’s a shame that they couldn’t come to an agreement.
I’m glad that the rematch between Joshua and Wilder is back on. I’m looking forward to that fight.
Read More: Eddie Hearn says there is no chance of the contract being signed on Monday.